Spiced Apple Cake
We just had this German Spiced Apple Cake here in the office for breakfast... Breakfast of champions!
125g butter- melted
2 apples/pears cored and grated, skin on (good apples are sour ones like Granny Smith - or use pears if you have them, or mix together!)
1 cup of sugar (any sugar is fine- I prefer brown sugar)
1 1/2 cup of flour (plain flour)
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of allspice
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 cup raisins/sultanas/dates (up to you, I use whatever is available)
1/4 cup slivered almonds or walnuts (again whatever I have I use)
Pinch of salt
30g butter- melted
1/2- 1 cup of rolled oats
3/4 cup of brown sugar (or any other sugar is ok)
1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 180c (or gas mark 3 or 4)
2. Grease well (and line if you wish) a 23cm round cake tin (or 20cm ring tin- no lining needed).
3. Melt butter. Cool. Put in a bowl and add grated apple, sugar and egg. Mix well.
4. Sift in dry ingredients (flour, spices, baking soda), add salt and fold with with wet until just damp.
5. Pour cake mix into cake tin and smooth over.
6. Mix topping together and spread over cake.
7. Bake at 180c for 40-45 mins in 23cm round cake tin. 30-35 mins if in cake ring tin. Don't overbake or cake will be too dry.
8. If gas, you may need to check at 30 mins if in round cake tin or cake ring tin.
9. I test with knife, it should come out fairly clean, even if a very little bit sticks to the knife I take it out, because I like the cake a little moist.
10. Remove from oven and leave cake for 10 mins covered with teatowel.
11. Invert cake onto plate. When cool dust with icing sugar.
This cake is not meant to be moist, it shouldn't be dry, however.
& it's even better served with the best yogurt in the WORLD - Barambah Organics All Natural Yoghurt.
& thanks Dave for the cake and the recipe! x
image by jesse atkinson © theCloverPages.com