This cake is seriously good. So good, I had to eat most of it before I could stop to take a photo.
Take the time to find some unwaxed lemons (preferably homegrown or organic) for maximum lemony flavour.
Lemon Yogurt Cake
Prep: First preheat oven to 190 degrees. If fan-forced, 180 degrees. Grease (with oil spray, not butter) a 23cm ring tin and cut out baking paper for bottom. Ring tin is best as this can be too moist in others.
Grated zest of 2 lemons
1 & 3/4 cup of caster sugar (I use 1 1/2 to cut sugar content)
1 cup of natural or greek yogurt
1/4 tsp salt
3 tablespoons of lemon juice (or just half the zested lemon above)
1 cup of canola or vegetable oil
2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder.
1. Zest lemons into a large bowl.
2. Add caster sugar, salt, eggs and oil. Stir well.
3. Fold lemon juice and yogurt in.
4. Sift flour and baking powder in. You can use self-raising flour, without the baking powder, but I find it is useless.
5. Fold the mix until just wet. Do not overmix or cake will be tough.
6. Pour into prepared tin. Bake for 30-35 mins. Best to test at 30 mins first. Generally I find it may need 40-45, but my oven is quite strong.
7. When ready, cool in tin for 10 mins. Then invert onto plate. Keep clean tea towel over it so cake stays moist.
After an hour. Cover with cling film and refrigerate or serve.
8. Dust with icing sugar and serve with remainder of yogurt.
Thanks to Dave O'Brien for the recipe :) x